Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy....Thursday!!

Why was it that I walked into work this morning and everyone is wearing pinks and reds and/or having something on their person that resembles a heart shape???  Why? WHY???

Oh yeah, it's Valentine's Day...

Not always was I a cynical person about this man made holiday of love.  I got all crazy about it once upon a time...but I was still in single digits and the biggest thing that ever happened was Darkwing Duck getting sucked into the Negaverse... 

It was MANY and I mean MANY moons before I was faced with the situation of a boyfriend AND Valentine's Day happening at exactly the same time and space.  And of course, it was Antonio...

Valentine's Day 2001 just so happened to fall on our 2 month anniversary (yeah, I said it, I'm a fucking girl) and I was sitting there in my mom's kitchen thinking how cool I was that I didn't put the screws to this guy and expecting a gift on our first Valentine's Day when out he comes with a gift.,...wrapped...in several sheets of gift wrap...  frikkin goofball...

After the seventh layer I see a cover of a movie I knew well, thank you BBV and thought to myself "Why the HELL would I get a copy of 'The Cider House Rules'" and what added quick insult to injury was that it was a screener no less (a screener is a copy of a tape that the distribution house sends the video rental company to see if they think the movie will rent and/or how many copies you will need for your store).  Then I moved my eyes to the little block letter stickers on the cover "02-14-01"... Hhhmmm...

And of course I would learn soon that my then bf was no one to trifle with opening presents, you have to open them quickly and use them soon so he can be part of the enjoyment... already loved him for that.  What happened next was awesome... Popped the movie into the VCR and the sneaky little sucker took and made a montage to a Louis Armstrong song of all the cutsie romcom's we liked and some not so rom com but rom to us and it was frikkin sweet!!  I watched that tape all the time and we still have it... because he since added to it of course...  Mr. Genius with the VCR editing and such.  It was a little rough and some tracking issues, I think you can even see the word "Play" on the top left of the screen, but of course I think it's endearing as hell!!

Now comes why that particular gift set me so far back...  When we had our first state of the union conversation in the front seat of my Impala on the way back from the WB tour, he mentioned how he thought Valentine's Day was a sham... a likely story I thought.  All guys think that right? Right.  He goes on about how he thinks it's really lame that women create this tornado of drama and pigeon hole themselves into giving a guy one day in which to show how they feel.  There are so many things he thinks are wrong with that thinking that he can't even get them out in one sentence... "Birthdays, Anniversaries, Christmas, Mother's Day, Father's Day, these things matter...  Valentine's Day?  One day to do something incredibly romantic?  There's nothing romantic about KNOWING when you're getting something special.  It should be spontaneous!"  He is very big on spontaneous...  VERY big... and I thought, sitting there in my old brown car with Anna Banana asleep in the back seat after a long day of walking all over some of the most famous sound stages in the world, I was listening to a steaming pile of pig shit...  Of course he was saying that, he's trying to be cool....  I didn't really think he was trying to hook me at that time, I just figured he was being a guy...  but again he shocks me.

Not only does he say that cheesey line that "You should expect more everday not more one day a year" but he actually acted on it and still does.  Instead of waiting for Valentine's Day or the week surrounding, I will come home to something special, not everyday because that's a stamina I don't know exisits to keep coming up with something fresh and new everyday, but definitely often enough that if I was one of the people that expected something for Valentines' Day to make up for the NON special days through the year, I would sell myself short for sure.

We don't celebrate Valentine's Day since that first one...That first one was actually so special and so sincere, I don't think he could top it.  Not with all the awesome I get still throughout the year...  But I DID get Carnations on our anniversary last year... and that's coming up again soon...

Which is why I say "Happy Thursday" everybody.. cause it's really just Thursday to me...until the next time I go home to something "special"!  OH! And don't think the special door swings one way... I give as good as I get!

No comments:

Post a Comment