Wednesday, August 14, 2013

I FORGOT I LOVE TO READ!!!

Stupid right?  Imagine MY surprise when I realized it...

I had been reading King's 11/22/63 off and on between crochet projects, paying bills online and taking care of household chores on my lunches at work.  Very seldom did I find myself with a moment at home to do this... Am I shocked? No.  I have the two kiddos and there was softball and there was this and there was that and there was just moments of sitting on the couch, all four of us slugging up a Saturday afternoon... I have the book... I can return to the book.  I can't recreate moments like THAT one.  I don't think ANYONE really can...  SLURP... that's what I do, I SLURP them up and enjoy and savor because the book will always be there, in my drawer at work...and if work burns down... I can buy another book... 

Thank you books, for being so sturdy and solid and always there when I'm ready to return to you...the penultimate loyalty!  Even better than a dog, who'd a thought?

And thank you to my sister from another mister for always having just the right taste in book to get me...

I just finished "Joyland" by Stephen King.  A pulp novel... one I never knew existed and it's fairly new.  I was ok with the fact I hadn't heard of it, I didn't expect to know about it.  I pulled myself out of "The Know" for a minute or two while I soak up all these firsts, to be returned to later.  So I'm returning slowly, one foot in the door... part-timer over here. 

I sucked that book up and all it's delicious description that King serves up so well, hitting all the satisfying parts of my literary appetite.  Fantastico! Mangia!!

It was a great little book, perfect for cleansing your palate... It's the salad course to my new meal of book reading...

But what I am going to do is...re-read.

I have had so many things go on since I've read some of my favorites that I'm not able to answer questions about books as well as I used to...  I need to get into the archives of my memory warehouse.  Maybe the best way to unlock this hidden information is to revisit it... maybe that's the key... For instance, I KNOW I could have looked this up, but it really pissed me the fuck off that I couldn't answer Choni's questions about Holden Caulfield... GODDAMN IT!!!  That is unacceptable for an English Major!!!!

So, here I go... my Journey "On The Road..." and beyond ..."The Rye"...

because I can, because I need to open up those periodicals in my brain...

If I can't access them, what good are they?

No comments:

Post a Comment